I’m Susan Taylor and I’m running for City Council “At-Large”
I want to help city government work more effectively for all Newporters.
- An immigration and civil rights attorney, 30 years in practice.
- A resident of coastal communities my entire life, making my home in Newport since 2007.
ELECTED GOVERNMENT SHOULD PROVIDE
POSITIVE LEADERSHIP IN THE COMMUNITY
- To enhance Newport’s attraction as a tourist destination
- To promote and grow Newport’s unique industries
- To forge public-private partnerships that benefit all Newporters
- To support solid early childhood education and literacy by the end of third grade
I WILL FOCUS ON
- Creating and sustaining meaningful jobs for all Newporters in a diverse economy.
As we look at developing the Sheffield School project and the Navy Hospital grounds, with efforts to develop an Innovation Hub in the North End, it’s important to educate and train our Newport kids to fill these jobs to keep them here in Newport.
- Protecting Newport’s fragile ecosystem while addressing storm surges and sea level rise.
We should tap Newport’s unique resources – the Navy, the marine industries, and RI’s universities – to develop innovative technologies to meet the challenge. Throughout I will work to protect our historic assets, preserve and enhance open space, and ensure waterfront access for all Newporters and all Newport water-related activities.
Susan Taylor has a great understanding of the importance of early childhood development, and supports the ‘parent as teacher’ concept, promoting literacy and social/emotional development. I believe she would make a great City Council member for the First Ward, and I encourage you to vote for her.
– Charles Shoemaker, MD, Former School Committee Chair, current Co-Chair of Pre-K Subcommittee
I want to hear your ideas – please reach out.